PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Crash at Bagram
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:50
Airclues

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stall and Roll

Until the mid 80's, the CAA required full stalls during air tests (they changed their policy due to the severe buffet during clean stalls). I was involved in several of these tests, and carried out many full stalls on the 747. On no occasion did I see the slightest hint of a wing drop during the stall or recovery. The ailerons were effective right down to the stall. We always kept our feet away from the rudder pedals as we were told that any rudder input would cause a rapid roll.

Trim Runaway.

I have never heard of a trim runaway on a 744. If it did happen, it is easily dealt with.

Loading Error

Loading can be much more critical on a freighter than on a passenger aircraft. When I flew the 744F, all of the crews were very pedantic about checking the loading of the aircraft and the trim calculations. There are so many safeguards, both manual and electronic, that the holes in the swiss cheese really would have to have lined up on that day

Raising the Gear

The first thing that happens when the gear is selected up is that all of the gear doors open, causing increased drag. The last thing that the crew would want is increased drag if the aircraft was stalling so would have left the gear down. It would have been very confusing, with the stick shake and pre-stall buffet.

Load Shift

With the low fuel load to Dubai the CofG would have been very close to the aft limit. It would only take a small aft movement of a heavy pallet to render the aircraft uncontrollable.

RNAS Portland used to allow us to carry out our stalls in their danger area so as to ensure clear airspace. If anyone was at HMS Osprey on 3rd August 1983, could you please PM me.