PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious security breach at Madrid Barajas Airport
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:04
MucDoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No surprises

I was based in Madrid for two years, actually, security through the pax route is quite good. ( we had to go through the pax route)

What was terrible was the security outside the terminals. The Spanish have a breathtaking disregard for parking regulations and restrictions, they can park where no one else would dream or dare to. My wife was a close protection officer in a previous life, she used to count the number of cars left unattended right outside terminal 1 when she was dropping me off for work. In her humble opinion, there were often in excess of 20 cars empty which could be jam packed with explosives. The result of one or more going up would be catostrophic.....!

If you think that she is over reacting, look back to the bombs at Atocha rail station a few years earlier in central Madrid.

I'm quite surprised that these lads made it through to airside, the Spanish police carry guns and would, I kid you not, shot the buggers if they had tried to leg it... These two were obviously idiots in every respect. Most airports have weak areas that anyone could breech should they care to....... Just not sure you would want to chose a Spanish airport to do it...