PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2013, 04:21
walschaert valve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P2-GKA

Great photos.

One of them is a photo of P2-GKA outside Hawker Pacific at Bankstown. It had come there after (I think) a wheels up in PNG, and as an apprentice I was part of the team fixing it. I was left to do the retractions when it was nearly finished and a retract (or extend, can't remember now) rigid line failed due to corrosion. I made another one and put it in and completed the tests including the emergency extensions.

Don't remember why now but the blow down bottle had been removed and reinstalled by me, but I didn't know to put lockwire around the P clip holding the cable. The aircraft went on a test flight and another hydraulic line failed because of corrosion, no problem - blow the gear down. Except they couldn't because the emergency extension cable slipped through the clip and couldn't move the lever on the blow down bottle.

After trying all sorts of things they landed the aircraft at Bankstown with the mains down but the nose up. Pull out the engines again and replace the props again and replace some skins again because I didn't put lockwire around a P clip.

Learnt that lesson. Wonder if that photo was taken the first or second time it was finished. Would have been about 1982 or 1983.