PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UKIP Defence Policy Released
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 21:37
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry - was this some kind of comedy 'if Iwere running the show' policy dreamt up in a pub?
Clearly written by people who've never had the slightest understanding of Defence beyond some gucci youtube footage and 1950s war movies.

In short order, no I don't think the idea of the RAuxAF operating GR4 is a terribly sensible idea.
No I don't think disbanding MOD makes much sense, because you still need someone to give oversight and direction to how an organisation based across the globe, operating in deep space and deep underwater, and which does everything from health care, schooling, riding schools, dockyard maintenance and the odd spot of extreme violence does its business.
I dont think randomly suggesting procurement of equipment like extra Type 45 which isn't currently inbuild at a cost of billions, and which will mess up our long term equipment programme is a terribly good idea.
I dont think introducing a stand alone tactical cruise missile for use in a nuclear role without any thought about deterrence, or how a nuclear armed opponent may perceive an attack with dozens of missiles coming his way is a very sensible idea either.
I also think that anyone who seriously believes that the Regular Armed Forces somehow represent a more cost effective body of staff than the MOD when it comes to normal office duties is probably taking drugs (average MOD salary cost is £23K, while everyone in the military at the rank of Cpl or above is on at least £26K plus a very generous allowance and housing support system - the regular military is bloody expensive, which is why we have so many budget problems).

If we had infinite money and time, then they may be on to something. But frankly given the huge responsibilities defence has, the limited funding its got, and the very real constraints we all operate under, I think all political parties of any view would quickly produce a document looking remarkably like the SDSR did.