PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Crash at Bagram
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 18:22
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
WhyBy:

1. From that brief video clip, I don't see a spin in evidence. My own experience with spins is from smaller aircraft, which tend to go through stall, post stall gyration, and incipient spin stages (however brief) before entering a spin.

I freely admit to not being familiar with the characteristics of stall, post stall behavior, nor incipient spins in 747s. Some of the folks who did test flying back in the 60's or 70's may be able to explain that.

After reading GlueBall's post a page back, a possible explanation for what we see in that clip is that the second wing drop was an attempt by the flight crew to get the nose to drop (see below) and restore controlled flight ... we do see the wings returning to level before impact .. but they ran out of altitude for recovery.

I am sure there are other explanations.

From GlueBall:
The only life-saving technique in a significant cargo shift as such would be to roll into an IMMEDIATE bank, 30 to 40 degrees, whatever it takes to keep the nose from coming up beyond 18 degrees; maintaining configuration & power and accelerating in a continuous climbing turn with full forward stab and elevator. 250-280kts ...whatever speed and bank it takes to keep from stalling and to keep the nose down. When the nose is lowered, extra crew can go downstairs and push one or two pallets forward, or in case of vehicles, drive them forward.
FWIW