PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old 4 banger I.D.?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 13:39
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the original spec sheet, as produced by the FAA in April 1947 for the "Nelson Auxiliary Power Glider, BB-1" (AKA the Bowlus BB-1). It covers both the aircraft and engine specs for the H-44 and the H-49 engines.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/8db86e618c946c038525673c00665b17/$FILE/ATTRYH3Y/GTC19.pdf

Here's some background info on the manufacturer.

Nelson Specialty Welding Equipment Corp. was started during the Second World War by Ted Nelson, a welder working on U. S. Navy ships in California.
He noted the great amount of difficulty shipbuilders were having in securing the wood decking to steel decks on aircraft carriers.

In order to secure or fasten the wood to the decks, holes had to be drilled through both the wood and the decks, and then fasteners were inserted and tightened from the underside.
This method was both time consuming and costly. Ted Nelson designed a stud welding gun that could be used from the topside to weld studs through pre- drilled holes in the wood to the steel deck, thus eliminating drilling and thru-bolting.

As a result, the Nelson Specialty Welding Equipment Corp. was awarded two Army-Navy "E" citations which credited the NelsonŽ process for having saved 50 million man hours during the WW2.

At some stage (in the early 1950's I think), Nelson Specialty Welding Equipment Corp. became Nelson Stud Welding, and the company still operates today in the stud welding, robotic track welding, fixed or auto feed systems, mechanical fasteners and associated hardware fields.

It appears that Ted Nelson lashed out with an aeronautical dream, as the FAA sheet is titled "Nelson Aircraft Corporation". I would guess that this company folded quietly during the early 1950's, when it became obvious making power-assisted gliders wasn't going to be a huge money spinner.

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more information readily available on what was quite an enterprising post-WW2 aeronautical effort.
I can't even find a picture of a Nelson aero engine, nor any record of one in any air museum.

Last edited by onetrack; 1st May 2013 at 13:45.