PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 01:39
Austerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-APRO/WJ370

This Auster 6A - but not a Tugmaster - (ex-Allen Wheeler) is still very active in the U.S. where it flies as NX370WJ. I am collecting anything and everything about its history (as WJ370 and G-APRO). All stories/anecdotes more than welcome, and in particular, photos, especially in military service. I particularly want info/photos of it in Korea, Cyprus and the Suez campaign. All info please to [email protected]

And if any Austerites are visiting Connecticut - please let me know! There's nothing like a fly up and down the scenic Connecticut River! The Auster is based at Goodspeed, next to the opera house, and 40 minutes outside Hartford. Down for annual right now, up again end of March!

Don't think I'll try anyone's front garden, though.

cheers - John Morris

I recently received a message from my friend Bob Powell, here in the U.S., who has a warehouse of licensed Gipsy parts (very useful). His comments are all grist for the Auster mill:

I am interested in trying to track down photos of G-AMNC, an Autocar, which once belonged to Bristols and finished up in New Zealand but there appears to be some confusion there which aircraft it currently is, assuming it is still airworthy. When I worked for Bristols back in he 50's I flew in it a lot, it was our "corporate aircraft" and I used to go to and from Woodford in it from Filton wearing a flight suit over my business suit, and flying boots in the winter ! We used to park it under a Vulcan to keep the snow and rain off it - compare that with todays executive airplanes ! Once it went u/s and they chartered a Dove for the trip - wow, what luxury ! Still it was fun and different and of course, still steam trains between Bristol and Paddington which I used a lot because our design office was in London.

Thansk Bob! Oh for a Vulcan on every field! All photos (if you have them) to [email protected] and I will forward them to Bob. cheers - John Morris