PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy times.
Thread: Easy times.
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 11:26
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A visual approach is as much an IFR procedure as CATIIIB ILS. To fly a visual approach you do NOT need to cancel your IFR flightplan, iow you don't need to go VFR. Your ops manual will detail the minimum requirements for a visual approach like it will detail the minimum requirements for CATIIIB.

Weather being equal would you rather fly the briefed circling procedure with prescribed tracks at 700ft or a visual approach at 1500ft AGL?

A visual approach is the most basic simple thing, with the same goal of approaching the runway at 3 degrees descent angle. In the end every manual landing is done visually.

Sorry buddy but what you say doesn't make any sense! There is no black and white answer. Sometimes I might elect to shoot a visual, other times I might elect to ask for a CATIII approach and autoland in the weather you describe. Other times I might be forced to shoot a visual. I know I will be able to do it as I practice regularly, AT on and off.
Anyway having to go manual and possibly visual is an option on every approach, the aircraft system or ground systems might leave you with no other option even after having started the approach. So how can it be a change of plan? You should have already discussed it!

And lets face it a visual on the bus is as easy as piss with AT on.

Last edited by 737Jock; 1st May 2013 at 11:30.