PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 09:40
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said before on other strings here, the wheat does eventually get separated from the chaff on arguments that are backed by real experience decidedly pulling out front.

My 2 cents to the OP from a low time VFR duffer. I would not get caught up on the strict adherence VASI/PAPI approach method, for me the learning is in not what a set of lights can tell you, it is what you your eyes tell your gut about the site picture on final depending on the type of approach and landing you are trying to accomplish i.e. big/busy airport get down and get the foxtrot out of the way of the big guys waiting, or as most of your early flying will be into small fields possibly grass and probably without even runway markers if you get reliant on approach aids i think you will dull your "sight picture" skills and "on the fly" decision making capabilities and perhaps can be caught unawares when landing aids are not present at a new field you visit or indeed during an emergency landing. When I fly into fields with VASI/PAPI ( which is the minority of my landings) I just fly as I would for a grass field and upon noticing what the lights show i say to myself "Hmmm so that is where the big guys would be at this stage of their approach" then pay no further attention to it and get back to MY approach. Again, I am not in anyway a experienced pilot nor an instructor but a guy whose flying involves in and out of unprepared and short agricultural fields that I,m probably the first person to ever land on which makes it exciting and rewarding and most importantly really makes you think about where you want to be on the approach and touchdown unaided by any lights/markers/landmarks etc.