PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for anyone who cares. . . .
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 08:44
pull-up-terrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been a great thread, glad to read some positive stuff on pprune for once.

I'm just interested to know Jetx, how many years did you spend in ga and regionals before getting a jet job? And how many hours did it take you to get a jet job. I'm just interested to know as my son is considering going down the ga route one day. I have been a lame for 35 years but I know what I would be doing if I was in my 20's.

I remember when I was doing my apprenticeship in the late 70's and early 80's there were people who were leaving a very good paid apprenticeship to go and fly bashed out cessna's up in the Northern Territory. I thought they were nuts at first. 35 years later several of them are a380 captains at qantas, 1 made it to an a380 check and training captain, another made it to an a330 check and training captain, several are a330 captains at Cathay, I bumped into a mate who is flying the 747-800 freighter for Cathay all earning double what I earn as a lame, I'm even jealous of those second officers who are earning more than me having more days off per month having an absolute awesome lifestyle. I know pprune is very bias and negative but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. I have been to some university open days with my son lately and it is pretty depressing to see how stuffed some industry's are. Like a lot of people studying at university these days will be doing some boring office job and will be lucky to earn more than a dash 8 captain at the peak of there careers.