PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 08:36
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, guys, lets be polite and respectful.....

(Actually I love it when a thread descends into abuse and name calling, so keep it up! I used my real name by mistake when I joined, so I am ALWAYS polite and respectful...)

Now flying at big airports in the US of A, one often finds oneself mingling light aircraft with 737s etc. So if you are flying a 172 into Baton Rouge, for example, it is only good sense to expedite the approach, land promptly, and get out of the way. Which isn't easy to do if you are dragging yourself in on the vasi's.

As a glider pilot with 1800 hours of landing gliders (and with instruction flights off a winch launch, you can average 3 landings an hour, no problem)
we have to get it right the first time. Every time. You have to judge your circuits, approaches and landings by eye, your eye. And if its a strange farmers field, you don't even have any help from the altimeter in planning the circuit, it all has to be judged by eye. WHICH REALLY COULD HAVE HELPED THOSE POOR CHAPS WHO SPLASHED DOWN IN BALI in a brand new Boeing (see Rumours and News for details). They probably couldn't see the vasi.....

As a power pilot, tug pilot, with IR, and l400 hours of power flying in the logbook, I have mixed it with the big aircraft, in the US, and the only place I interfered with the smooth flow of commercial airline traffic was at Kerry International Airport, in Ireland....but that's another story altogether.

To my mind, flying a light single down the IR glideslope is far from ideal.