PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 07:32
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not living in the past, but the issues mentioned throughout this thread are still not resolved:

1. Training deck crews and others for future: It would appear that the number of RN deck personnel such as aircraft handlers on exchange is very low - just EIGHT according to this article.

After talking to them, I discovered that aside from the three British sailors on board Kearsarge, there are five more of them aboard the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69).
After finishing their exchange I assume these personnel return to the UK, where they will then have no opportunity to practise and maintain those skills (handling/operating fixed wing aircraft at sea) that they have been relearning.

Clearly we need to do more to train future deck crews as accidents will be expensive and involve the risk of fatalities. Perhaps we are/will - but how?

2. According to this paper written by a USMC guy who did an exchange with the RN back in the Sea Harrier days, the experience of CTOL operations may not be the place to obtain optimal expertise for STOVL operations.

3. As a result of the Levene forms, the new First Sea Lord will have more control over budgetary issues and on how policy is implemented.

4. We are now preparing for a future where Afghanistan is not the key to our defence policy, and a possible return to the Gulf may be on the cards. BBC News - 'East of Suez': Are UK forces returning?

I have heard nothing to contradict the rumours I alluded to back in October/November, but I have heard/seen things which strengthen my thoughts that things do not add up. How are we going to prepare for the (STOVL) future?

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 2nd May 2013 at 11:49.