PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational Flying and Liability
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 07:28
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'creamy' you go under the knife for an Op. Do you know the probabilities & consequences? No, nobody would entirely.
Due you accept the risks? Yes …
No I don’t.

I only accept the risks the consequences and probabilities of which have been explained to me and I understand. For example, it was explained to me that one in 60,000 people die as a consequence of a competently administered general anaesthetic.

So, if I agree to have a general anaesthetic , understanding the probabilities of dying as a consequence of a competently administered general anaesthetic, I have accepted that risk. But I have not accepted the risk of the anaesthetic being incompetently administered, or a scalpel being left in my abdomen, or the wrong limb being amputated, all of which are also risks of the activity.

That’s why all those ‘waiver’ forms mean nothing and doctors are found negligent.
I see no difference to that or hoping aboard a plane & accepting both 'cause nobody knows all the risks or probabilities in any activity from simply driving yr car down the street to having open heart surgery.

That's why we have insurance in it's many forms as we simply don't understand the probabilities or the consequences by our actions.
What we are talking about is a passenger who was injured in a Jabiru engaged in recreational activities. The result of the decision discussed at the start of this thread is that the pilot was not held liable for the injuries.

What insurance could the passenger buy to cover the risk of their own injuries, including the loss of income during recuperation, in those circumstances?