PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some landing advice please. A320
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2013, 02:15
White Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbers44
Don't let it touch only works with lots of runway. I landed at TGU, Honduras and we had a 700 ft touchdown zone or go around because of the short runway and the cliff at the end. Landing at the 1,000 ft point is very important to prevent over run. We should all be able to do it without floating down the runway.
One day my FO in a 727 kept floating at Kingston Jamaica so I said either land now or go around. He landed. Kingston doesn't have a long runway. Taca put one off the end over the cliff about a year after I retired and killed a bunch of passengers. They landed long on a wet runway and couldn't stop in an Airbus.
TGU is very unforgiving if you screw up. It is just challenging if you do it right. I did over 600 landings with zero close calls. I used the taxiway 1,000 ft from the cliff to use as an indicator of if I was cutting it too close. I never once needed it but to save brakes let us roll to the end. TGU is considered the most dangerous jetliner airport in the world. It is also the most fun. I never went around because if I was going to miss the 700 ft touch down point I just put it on the runway. None of the landings were bad, they were a bit firm, but got some of my smoothest ones too most of the time.
My hero............