PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG (ANVIS, AN/AVS) for HEMS, which is best USA vs. Europe vs. Israel?
Old 1st May 2013, 00:39
GS Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll offer my opinion as a relative newcomer to NVG flying.
4 years/ 300 hrs of NVG time with ANVIS 9 Pinnacles, can't compare them to other models.

No matter how well lit the LZ's are, NVG's will substantially decrease risk during the enroute portion of your operation, especially in weather.

Helmet comfort is subjective, but I've worn 3 brands and 2 work for me.
Gentex: They suck. Tried about 4 or 5 with different liners. They all felt horrible after an hour or so.
Alpha 200: can wear it all day. Love the leather lining. Held up well for 12 years.
MSA Gallet LH250: also very comfortable with a lighter feel and less bulky NVG visor compared to the Alpha. Chin strap is crap, already coming apart after 2 years. Get the Oregon Aero ZetaLiner. It's very nice.
I like the Gallet best because the clear visor is close enough to my face that I can use it with NVGs. Something I never really thought about until a co-worker took a large bird in the face during a day flight. His visor was down but impact nearly knocked him out and after he recovered from inverted flight he only had a few lacerations to his face and sore muscles. Imagine a vulture impacting your goggles at 130 kts with only your eyelids to protect you.....goodbye eyeballs.
I always wear earplugs so noise attenuation is about equal.

Training/Currency:
I respectfully disagree with Heloguy412 and others in this matter. NVG flying is not complicated, it requires a minimal amount of hours to become proficient, and it is not nearly as perishable a skill as IFR or VR LongLine. Study the materials, understand the limitations, fly a few hours with an experienced instructor who can demonstrate those limitations. Good to go. Like anything else, walk before run. I'm sure that will seem flippant to some, but it has been my experience.

Good luck with the process.