PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young Pilot seeking advice
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2013, 22:55
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stefan123,

If you hold a UK passport, you can apply to the RAF.

However, they will be very interested to know as to what you have done up to date that would make you an individual with the qualities and experience that they are seeking. Doing a fATPl is NOT one of those things. It will not contribute anything to your CV, and they may in fact start asking questions about your commitment to the armed forces.

The best thing you could do to increase your chances is to go do team activities, climb mountains, do some sort of survival training, do lots of sports and generally show that you are extremely active, physically fit and an overall well-balanced individual.

For the record, I have also had a dream since childhood that I want to be a fighter pilot. Where I grew up, I watched Su-27s do all sorts of crazy stuff on a daily basis and to say it inspired me is a huge understatement. Now I live in the UK, hold a UK passport but unfortunately, in the eyes of the RAF I wont be seen as a well-rounded individual for reason both within and beyond my control. Having said that, as of right now, they are not recruiting for the "pilot" role. Backlog still remains to be cleared.

Anyways, my point being that your childhood dream will meet reality unless you pull your sh*t together, research properly, and ultimately do everything within your power to have a decent chance of at least making it past the initial screening process in the RAF!

Otherwise you'll end up like me... doing aerobatics whenever you can just to keep yourself sane