PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2013, 20:35
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...without a doubt there is a problem with some of your flying!

to those who have called my views balderdash or speaking out of my arse...I would not check you out in any plane at the flying schools or clubs I've been employed as an instructor (CFIIMEI).

While once upon a time you could reasonably be sure your engine would quit in the pattern, that is not the case now. (I am not saying an engine can't quit and am saying you should always have a plan and a pre selected field).

Power on approaches are the normal way to land a plane...it is the safest, most consistent way to land a plane...BIG OR SMALL.

Now, if you want to pretend you are a bush pilot, go out and rent a single engine BUSH.

And yes, there are some airports that don't have Vasi/papi. And yes you should know what a normal approach looks like in case there isn't a vasi...indeed, if the vasi was turned off, and you were flying your normal pattern, and then the VASI was turned on , you should be ''right on''.

Someone who comes in high to the numbers is asking to misjudge your flare and prang the plane.

back before 1927, engines had their problems...after lindbergh made it to paris, properly maintained engines proved pretty darn reliable.

AS to stalling (aerodynamic stall). If you are dividing your eyes between outside and inside, checking speed and sink rate and looking out the windshield, you won't stall.

some smart guy ment9ioned the 45degree point to the ''runway'' to start base turn...that's fine, but end up on the vasi on finallllll!!!!!!!

And yes, if you are out practicing forced landings, there are options available to you.

I also noticed people using different flap settings...you might want to take time to readjust your seat as the ''crutch'' of anything but full flaps is just to compensate for a poorly adjusted seat. (thought some builders offer alternate flap settings for landing in certain wind conditions).

Landing ''on the numbers'' sounds good...except for the one time you are a tiny bit short.

in 38 years of flying as an instructor, corporate pilot, regional pilot and big airline pilot I've never seen such trash written about landings as on this thread.

oh and original poster...go out and find a real instructor and a much newer plane...and have him demonstrate a power on approach and landing to commercial standards, pick a spot on the runway and at the worst he should be within 200 feet of it...and a good guy can do it within six inches.