PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Crash at Bagram
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2013, 13:39
SMT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tactical departures for large a/c were commonly practiced at Baghdad and to the best of my knowledge the A300* that took a hit on departure was not following the recommended 'tactical' departure.
The crew did follow the recommend procedure on that flight. They were alternating between spiralling and straight ahead arrivals/departures. In this case they performed a straight ahead departure, basically a max. thrust V2+10 climb to 10K. Sods law had the insurgents at the right time at the right place.

*Corrected from A330

Does the 744F have the required restraint points to secure this type of heavy wheeled/tracked load? If I recall, the rules (that I worked to in UK MoD) say you would apply sufficient restraint to cope with a 4G acceleration forward, 3G aft etc.

If the load was secured correctly, it should probably still be restrained to the floor of the crashed aircraft.

Sounds like the type of load that should be in a C5 or C17 where all the tools needed to apply that are available as a/c role equipment.
A factory built 744F has a restraint system on the main-deck capable of securing 20ft pallets weighing up to 28.757kg (63.400lbs) each. This is using the locks installed on the floor only; no additional restraints required. Depending on the operator and their willingness to adopt a somewhat creative interpretation of the Boeing WBM, it is possible to do floating positions, whereby additional weight may be carried provided additional restraints are used (e.g. straps).

When following such a procedure, there are two different schools of thought. One will have you using additional straps only to secure any weight above published max, e.g. you're loading 15 tons on a position rated for 10 and use additional straps for the extra 5 tons only. The other thought, which is the one I've been brought up on and have always followed, tells you to use straps to secure the full load of the cargo (i.e. all 15 tons in the previous example), and to consider any fixed restraints (locks) as "nice to have" only.

If, however, you are placing your load without using ULDs, the WBM manual will provide you with very detailed, and also quite complicated, instructions on how to place straps, at what angle to the floor, and at which floor stations. That section of the WBM manual alone cover some 50-odd pages, and it's very difficult to access unless you have a lot of time on your hand - and time is a precious commodity in the airfreight business.

Regardless, straps and locks can fail - particularly if not engaged/installed correctly.

Last edited by SMT Member; 30th Apr 2013 at 13:45.