PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2013, 07:19
Ellemeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not really relevant if you are 1.3vso or +10kts. This depends entirely on how you like to land and what the plane likes.

I never managed to get in a proper landing on a c182 in all 4 attempts, and I believe this is due to the fact that the fi sitting next to me wants me to come in real slow with full flaps. The c182 is an aircraft you want to "fly against the deck" meaning a bit more speed light flare slow descent rate.

My commander I will typically land at 85kts (flaps 10) and she seems to love that allthough the other day I landed her with 110kts when it was 30kts gusting 50 .. into the wind ... you could have put an egg between .. real smooth.

Find what looks sensible and makes you comfortable. A bit faster is not a problem.. but whatever you do .. stay in control of power and pitch.

My ppl instructor loved it when I landed the c172 with the stall horn blowing on the last 2 meters. But he would get very annoyed if it is was any earlier then that.

ask for another fi and see if that clicks better. Remember you are the customer and you pay the bill ... which does not mean that you are always right.

Last week I did my seaplane rating and I had this FI sitting relaxed next to me, never touching a thing .. letting me fly and telling me tips afterwards. In the afternoon I got another FI because of some logistics. From the moment we left he was very nervous, correcting me very fast and even touching the yoke many times .. before I could even correct myself. This unsettled me quite a bit and offcourse you do worse then.

The next morning I didone more hour with the first fi and she never touched anything but was just very pleased .. then I did my cpl seaplane and past with flying colours.

Find a fi where you are comfortable with and who you believe you learn from!

p.s. generally it is handier to have the need for a bit of throttle for control (so you have margins 2 ways) .. however at some point you will start doing glide in approaches with no throttle. Then you will probably start learning the difference and thus get better control.

remember that a landing can be a pretty hectic thing so if you do not control airspeed you will stall on a landing and that is generally not a very good thing

a bit of margin is allways nice

Last edited by Ellemeet; 30th Apr 2013 at 07:24.