PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2013, 05:27
Nervous SLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope it is ok to post it in this section ?

During a WW2 German bombing raid on Southampton for once my mother actually went to the shelter in her back garden.
The next morning there was a large dent in the ground but obviously if it had been caused by a bomb it hadn't gone off.
In the 1960's whilst digging in the same piece of ground she dug up a Nazi medallion - hopefully my picture of it will post ok.
In the late 1990's I showed this to a German gentleman who was staying with us and told him the story of how it was found.
He straight away insisted that I contact the Police in England as he strongly suspected that it had been caused by a 250kg bomb
which hadn't exploded. This I did with the result that a truck from the Army bomb disposal unit turned up and investigated for several
hours, it rather shocked the now resident of course but being British she offered tea and bikkies to the soldiers.
They didn't find anything but agreed it was probably caused by an unexploded bomb. However they thought that it must have
skipped into a neighbours garden and been taken away. Snag is to this theory is that when my mother found this object she showed it
to the neighbours and they had a chat about the war as they also lived there at the time. They never said anything about a bomb being
taken away but they did remember that air raid.

I wonder if it had been put into the bomb to sabotage it and so prevent it exploding, I won't say what a cousin of mine said,
suffice to say it was a lot more gruesome and IMHO rather silly.

Last edited by Nervous SLF; 30th Apr 2013 at 05:31.