PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking ATPL exams as a CPL holder - any credit for approved 'classroom' time?
Old 30th Apr 2013, 02:13
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking ATPL exams as a CPL holder - any credit for approved 'classroom' time?

Hello,

I am about to start a distance learning course for the ATPL theory exams.

I am thinking ahead to the 3 year limit on obtaining both the CPL and IR to lock the exams, and have a question that I have been unable to find the answer to in CAP 804.

As I understand it, if I do not manage to finish the IR in time before the exams expire, or I decide to simply not do it and stick to a CPL only, I would then need to resit all the ATPL exams if my plans change again and I want a chance of having an unfrozen ATPL, or the IR exams only if I need an IR with no possibility of 'unfreezing' the CPL/IR combination.

The exams themselves and the studying for them I have no issue with, the biggest pain for me is having to undergo an approved course and taking the time out and expense to attend classroom days to cover the EASA requirements. Simply buying the books, studying, and attending the exams is much, much easier.

If I were to obtain only the CPL license, and want to then retake the expired ATPL exams, would I simply be able to sit the exams given my holding a CPL and having completed an approved ATPL theory course in the past, or would I need to go through the whole thing again and repeat the classroom sessions?

In CAP 804 I cannot find any mention of this scenario, only references to being credited with CPL exam passes when achieving passes for the ATPL course.

Would appreciate any insight into this!

Last edited by Odai; 30th Apr 2013 at 02:17.