PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching "real" flying
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 19:52
ModernDinosaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems a shame to me that so few of the clubs around London emphasise much other than what you might term bog-standard PPL-ing.
In my (admitedly limited) experience, I have to say that I think this is a little unfair. The small, friendly club which taught me to fly also runs tailwheel, IMC, night and twin courses without the "CPL emphasis" you find at some of the larger multi-field organisations - there has even been one PPL/IR in the recent past. There are also semi-regular club fly-outs, often cross-channel.

The one course that isn't offered which I would personally like - an aerobatics course. That said, I can understand this as the airfield is under the London TMA and learning aeros under 2500' can't really be recommended!

I know that 'my' club is a good one, and that there are some very poor clubs around, but I'm sure there are other clubs around London which are interested in more than "bog-standard PPL-ing" - it all depends on how far you look. If you think it is a shame that 'your' club doesn't offer the range of training you want to see, talk it over with the CFI and/or owner. If they won't change, there are others that will be happy to receive your custom.

Cheers,

MD.