PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2013, 23:02
againstgravity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is a very old plane so everything in the POH is in mph. And, yes, I know the speeds : ) Vso 50 mph 1.3Vso 65 adjust for gusts works like a charm

I guess the debate is I am used to 1.3Vso short final, using power as needed and full stall landing. No problems with landings that way whatsoever. Until I ended up with this instructor never had a landing problem.

I don't change speeds on short final, at least did not use to do. This guy insists he needs nose down and 70 mph on short final, no leveling off in ground effect and some sort of continuous attitude change to land. Of course, half of these landing end up in a bounce.

I finally decided we are slowing down, he got mad, then I found a way to keep 70 until he stops paying attention once over the threshold, then start slowing down eating runway, then leveling off and landing. He is somewhat onto me in terms of not doing exactly what he wants, but can't argue with the 70 until the threshold.

So why do I debate keeping him, he is a good instructor in all other aspects. I have no problem with anything else, pretty much have a lot of hours under the belt, so power-off power-on stalls, slow flight, steep turn, emergency procedures are all pretty much on track. Landings we fight over. I just wanted to make sure I am not the only one that sees a problem with what he is trying to teach me.