PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2013, 20:09
againstgravity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my initial method of landings are the ones I need to stick with. From the day I started flying with this instructor he kept trying to change my landings, although I repeatedly kept insisting that his method of landing with speed did not agree with me. Initially, he kept insisting that we could stall! I tried for hours trying to please him, but pointing the nose down for 70 mph when the conditions don't require it is just not right. Yes, we kept bouncing and having other landing problems, and he kept insisting a bit more practice and it will be better. Or that I would get the sight picture. But, I never had problem with sight picture after I learned how to land with the first instructor.

Finally, a week ago, I told him we'll be 65 on short final and there is no chance we'll stall. I have quite a few hours in the log book and too experienced to pull to stretch the glide. I use power as needed, and we, of course, had a great landing. As mentioned before, landings have not been a problem before I met him. Just, general need to build confidence, which by now is not an issue either. He was quite upset and told me to never do that again. I told him that there was no risk of stalling, and we were in no danger. Then he told me he was not worried about stalling anymore but worried about a hard landing. I am assuming he was worried about the power management.

I understand the issue about losing engine at some point on short final and getting in trouble, but then I guess it is emergency operations territory and one would have to land short, assuming no obstacle. Carrying speed does not seem risk free.

I did try to find a midway to please him coming in at 70 till we cross threshold, then slowing down while eating the runway then attempting to land with more reasonable speed. The midway kept him at bay, but still made the landings harder than I think they should be, with more power adjustments to switch from his glide to my way of landing.