PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 17:50
Winnie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi there all of you!
I'm currently teaching in Canada, where we are required to teach full-ons, but it really is up to the examiner to decide if he wants a full on demonstrated. I have finally gotten back into the habit of doing them all the way, and I really think they will give the student the edge needed to survive or even save the aircraft in a sticky situation (when the donkey leaves). However, I'm more than reluctant to send my 100 hr. student out with the examiner, regardles of the examiners experience, since he does not regularly fly "my" machine. Now I only have one machine, and with about 1000 hrs in it, I know fairly well what it does, but why should I let this fresh new student and the examiner out to do touchdowns in my only machine. Only last year did Transport Canada and a student roll a machine on a flight test, yet they still want them done on flight tests. I agree with all of you that these should be thaught to students, but personnally I'm never far off the controls during this, because I've personnally seen the end result of botched full ons.

Anyhow, this is just my opinion, and I realize this is not much of a pot stirrer, I enjoy reading all these threads, they give me (as an instructor) a lot of insight.

Shawn Coyle
Love your book (art and science...)
and would really love to come out to Mojave to do the Test pilot program, but then there is money...