PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG (ANVIS, AN/AVS) for HEMS, which is best USA vs. Europe vs. Israel?
Old 29th Apr 2013, 08:37
Iefan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your prompt replies and valuable inputs.

[email protected]
Probably any of the products on your list will be suitable and the only way of deciding which one is best would be to try them all and see for yourself.
This is very reassuring and I was hoping that this would be the case...guess a visit to the manufactures is the answer. Any thoughts on how to standardize the testing of the goggles as the ambient lighting conditions and environment will not doubt be different at each of the facilities?

ARRAKIS

Last point to consider is of course cockpit NVG compatibility. The IIT choice may have an impact here.
Thank for this ARRAKIS. We intend to carry out an approved NVG cockpit modification. Out of interest I noticed the following:
Minus Blue filters for cockpit lighting compatibility
OIP Sensor Systems NV
Would you by chance know what this means? Does it imply that less or no cockpit modification is required?

hueyracer-
If one company offers overhauling and service in 48 hours-and the other needs 48 days, i would know which way to go...
good point, thank you will keep it in mind.

heloguy412-
Notice that I said competency and not currency.
Thank you for the valid points heloguy412. Once our aircrews have completed their training, how regularly ( just a ball park figure ) would they need to fly on the NVG to maintain competency? Would mandating a NVG training sortie once a month irrespective of NVG missions flown during that month address this issue?

vaqueroaero-
I have flown with goggles that have 60 degree FOV and to be honest found no noticeable difference when compared to the standard 40 degrees, so I wouldn't make that a major purchase decision.
thank you, just the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

HueyLoach-
One important question is what minimum performance level for the NVG system the aviation authority is going to authorize for these operations.
Thank you for the relevant points. Its a new area for our CAA, so I believe they will take guidance from the FAA and approve operators on a case by case basis.

[email protected]

Are you going to operate single pilot on NVD or do you have another crew member who will also assist. Single pilot NVG takes the risk level up another notch, especially into unprepared sites and you need some robust procedures to deal with tube failure, deteriorating weather and IIMC.
Good points again Crab. We are going to follow the American model and equip the medical crew with NVG.

What would be typical procedures used to mitigate the risk of tube failure, deteriorating weather and IIMC?

Thank you again for all the advise and inputs
Best regards
Iefan Blake