PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2013, 02:24
pudoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal Hotspot

I use an ethernet to connect to my Macbook Pro (late 2011 OSX 10.8.2) and then use internet sharing to create a WiFi hotspot for my other devices (iPad and an Android phone).

Took me a while to get it working, and then I pulled out my ethernet cable to move about and put it back in. Since then my hotspot won't work. I've tried creating a new one with different passwords and name but no luck.

Basically, the devices that connect to it always report an "excellent" signal, and so it should as these devices are no more than a couple of inches from the Macbook. However, since pulling out the cable it reports "excellent" but the second I ask the device to connect to the hotspot it changes to "poor" and no device can connect to it. It attempts to, first it states "connecting..." then literally a second later "click to connect" (as if it has no idea I asked it to connect) then back to "connecting..." and this is a constant cycle.

All devices including Macbook restarted many times, all routers and access points have been restarted, I've restored default network settings on all 3 devices and still no luck.

Really baffles me how it reports a poor signal despite being right next to the hotspot. I was thinking the main reason it can't connect is maybe it can't issue an IP address to the devices, assuming the fact the poor signal is just spurious. Any ideas?