PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY - Would you recommend them?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2013, 01:41
Bond'll Do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Avoid THY is my suggestion - experience/evidence below folks:

I've just returned from a multi-sector trip with TK. April '13.

BRU-IST-MLE-CMB-MLE-IST-BRU as this was recommended to me to go to Sri Lanka on 'J' Class (Biz) at approx. 1,000 EURO less than other itineraries.

BRU-IST on A321 in 1D was OK. Food quite nice. IFE with big headsets (audio only) not working. (reported to crew, but crew not interested). Flight on time. Supposedly 'European Airline of the Year' from somewhere? (PR magazine?)

Then arrived circa 22.30hrs to find massive queue to transfer flights. Eventually found unmanned 'White' desk for Biz pax some distance from mega queue and found my way through the maze to get to the 'award winning/supposed best worldwide lounge'....to find it completely packed full and all food services shutting down. My hope of what looked like fresh 'kebabs' and other food...well past closing time...despite a huge number of TK (and other flights leaving at this time).

There was still a great display of various beverages still there of which I partook. I tried to use one of the impressive display of I-Mac computers to send an e-mail to find that they were all un-serviceable. I reported this to the Biz lounge desk to get the reply that yes, one Mac was working earlier but they couldn't remember which one. I had approx 2hr connection.

So, off I trotted to have a look at the shops and have a cig in the farthest end of the terminal (quite a walk!).

I came back to the lounge to find a 1hr 55min delay on my IST-MLE-CMB flight. By now I was very hungry, so I asked what food was available. I was told by the three remaining lounge staff that breakfast would begin about 6am. I told them that this was unacceptable and they just shrugged their arms. I asked if they had a voucher to dine for full-fare Biz pax. No, they said, but if your flight is delayed more, then we will provide a hotel room.

So, I went to what I thought was a quiet area of the lounge and met a group of delayed passengers for other TK delayed flights to Dhaka, Kabul and Baghdad at this time of night.

Not long after sitting with them...mainly NGO regular travellers on this route, the display board came up with 5hrs delay for my flight to CMB. So, I went to the lounge desk to ask for more info. I was offered a hotel room at a nearby hotel. This, it transpired would involve me paying for a Turkish Visa, no food offered, just a bed....in all, about 2hrs in a hotel room and then back for departure. I declined....only to find the delay creeping after my decision to 5hrs 25, then 35 and then 6....

Eventually the flight was called on the screen. I had asked a lounge receptionist to 'wake me up' for boarding...but that never transpired...and when I left the lounge there were no staff present at reception. I arrived to find a 'zoo' of people trying to board. No priority for Biz pax at all. Half an hour more of standing around for eventual boarding.

To cut a very long story short, post boarding/takeoff....all I was offered in Biz class was a supposed 'crepe' of scrambled eggs. Yes, that's right....on an 8hr flight to MLE, 1hr 50 mins transit there and then 1hr 20 min flight in 2A to CMB that was all that was offered. I reported this to the Purser who could only agree that she had never seen such poor food offering on Turkish Airlines, however, apart from a pack of Turkish Economy hazelnuts...she had nothing more to offer. All I can say, is if you want to know how bad the Biz service was back to IST from CMB, just e-mail me on here. There isn't the space to comment on bad seats/disfunctional IFE/couldn't care less attitude by crew.

I certainly don't recommend TK if you like a good drink. I like a Bacardi & Coke sometimes....no Bacardi served on TK....just a very slim selection of alcohol. No Duty-Free service on TK on any route, also.

Seat out was OK in new config...no IFE working but leather horizontal seat. Way back was old-style fabric seat....very uncomfy to try to sleep in. I can only think that as this is a new route for TK that they are short of aircraft/crew. 'Abysmal' is my overall experience.