PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Question!
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2013, 01:18
againstgravity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landing Question!

I have a landing question, which is still bothering me (I am post solo but not with too many PIC hours). With my previous instructor, I used to have pretty decent landings using the following sequence (Cessna 172M):

1: Fly a good pattern
2: Slow down on final with full flaps (70 mph); and stay on glidepath if there are visual aids if not use sight picture
3: Maybe trim a bit
4: Slow down a bit more when field is made (1.3Vso)
5: Round out in ground effect
6: Close throttle as I flare, not before

This is the method University of North Dakota shows in one of their instructional videos, so I don’t think it is anything new. The method seemed to work well, to say the least. Pretty smooth controlled landings. Also, I never pull up to extend the glide and I am good at slow flight so never worried about stalling.

In the middle of training got new CFI. He is one of the best (experienced, well respected, not going to an airline or anything) and has improved everything else about my flying but landings are another story. He insisted that I was coming in too low and slow; and we were in danger of stalling. I never heard of that from my previous CFI. Now new landing method:

1: White over white on final or generally high
2: 70 (mph) all the way until we cross threshold and keep the nose down regardless of descent rate
3: No round out in ground affect but continuous change of attitude from flying to landing

In both cases we would add gust factor so that is not a problem.

In his method of landing, we bounce and such half of the time, and I am convinced that it can’t be a reasonable way to land. Even if we were trying to clear an obstacle, then once obstacle is clear we slow the plane on the runway then round out then flare. He seems to not agree. He used to tell me that 1.3Vso could cause a stall, I finally responded that I was not going to pull up to stretch the glide, and we can always keep some power in till the flare, then he finally said it is not the stall he is afraid of but a hard landings, which I am yet to experience with my method.

What am I missing about what he wants me to do? I got some advice on another forum but still quite puzzled, as the CFI went from worrying about stalls to now worried about hard landings. We can try his method for hours but it is so hard to carry so much speed till the last second.