PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ripping Yarns : Banner Target Fun
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 19:40
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ripping Yarns : Banner Target Fun

With so much depressing news around at the moment ... NK, Syria, Service Personnel/Budget cuts and the Great Unwashed now encamped at RAF Waddington etc. ... I thought a little thread to give a few of you the excuse to share ripping yarns on Air to Air Gunnery Fun-n-Games might just bring a few smiles to some faces.

I don't think we've had a thread like this ... I was prompted inpart by seeing an old photo of a Meteor chasing a Banner which reminded me of a few stories told to me by a very good friend (sadly no longer with us) when he flew with 500 Squadron in the 50's flying the Meteor F4 out of RAF West Malling ... he also flew the Beaufighter during the latter stages of WW II ...

Banner cables being completely sliced off ... Tug Pilots "colourful" RT language ... a few pictures would be good ... and no doubt the WIWOL community will pitch up with their input

I had a hunt around to try a find a pic to get us started ... sadly I don't have any of my own ... but I did find this lurking in a book I won as a school prize

S/L George Lee (R) and F/L Pete Gray (L) from 43 Squadron along with mascot P/O Alcock ... early/mid 70's I think ... Phantom Gat v Banner (the banner is just visible in the back ground)

Courtney ... I'm not sure if these guys pre-dated you on 43 ?

Let's keep it to Gunnery ... no Missile stuff FTB ...

Looking forward to it ...

Best ...

Coff.

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 29th Apr 2013 at 06:55.