PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Android Aviators
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 12:56
chopper99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some other moving map's for Android (as well as windows and Mac) Moving Map App

I have used Sky-Map.de for a year now. It is a very nice moving map program developed for the European market with weather overlays and scanned maps that you can purchase for Europe and North America. They might have expended it by now to include other parts of the world.

Unfortunately (or fortunately ) I am currently operating in Papua New Guinea where most moving map or gps manufacturers do not bother to produce useful tools for. Here is what I appreciate the most about Sky-Map:
* allows for very quick graphic (or conventional) flight planning on the fly with double tapping on the map as well as rubber band mode.
* developer is very helpful to provide information to make the product useful for operations in countries where airspace or approach plates have to be produce manually.
* in the android version maps can be scanned and referenced by the user and associated to the different zoom levels. (for mac the manufacturer has to do it for a reasonable fee). Sometimes the google play store does not list this app so might have to contact them via the company web site.

Another great Android app is called soviet military maps. You can trial the free version to see what it is like, but basically it is a very basic moving map with 1:250 000 scale maps (as well as google, open cycle and other maps), some of which can be downloaded and cached in the paid version (10,-$) for off line use. Again a great App if you are operating in areas of the world with limited moving map availability (same company makes other apps for NZ and Canada, same idea, different maps). The GPS functions are rather basic on it but you can import way-points and create routes. This App is currently only available for Android it seems.

Cheers