PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your thoughts please
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 15:53
slackbladder28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete,

I don’t mind blunt, If that is the way it is then rather the facts than having sunshine blown up ones arse.

I failed my final line check and was released from the Airline. As for why, by the time I got to my final line check my confidence was non existent. I tried to push on, not admitting to myself or the airline I was really struggling and I didn’t ask for any help when I should have done. What I hadn’t realised at the time was that I was still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress after a car accident in which I had been driving and a little girl had been killed. I didn’t tell the Airline at the time because I thought I was over it. I was wrong. I spent a couple of years get my head put back together once I had realised I was still in trouble.

I am not looking to blame anyone or anything. It doesn’t matter now what caused the trouble. It was 4 years ago. All that matters is that I failed a line course and that makes me a poor prospect for employment. Especially in these times where competition between airlines is fierce, profit margins are tight, any cost risk has to be examined and in a market place where there is a surplus of commercial pilots available. I understand that. I also understand the honesty is the best policy. I have been up front over my training every time I have spoken to, visited or written to any recruiter. Hell the hours are in my logbook the rating is on my license. It is going to be a bit obvious.

I have already proved I can pass a type rating what I need to prove that this was a one off, a glitch and that I have the ability to fly the line. So what do I do? If I do go for a King Air type rating I need to be able to use it. Will being an AFI help to put any worries a recruiter would have to rest? How about the AQP that CTC offer?

I dunno what the right course of action to take is hence asking for opinions. As for dedication I am still here after 4 years of PFO’s knowing that until I could get some cash together I was in with very little chance of improving my situation and gaining employment. This is the first proper chance I have had to be able to do something, the first time I have had the money.

I am confident that I can do it. Until I get back into the RHS on line training I will not know for sure. At least I know now what I need to do and a bit more about the training system in an airline. It is not like a flying college! I gained some very good experience. I just have to find the way to turn the black mark into a very light smudge so I can use what I have learnt on my next line course.

Although sympathy is nice, I would rather some good advice. It is more use.

Cheers and thanks guys