PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Engined 747
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 09:20
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiggy

I thought that the BA and the FAA had done a "deal", as it were, after the latter had issues with the 3 engine flight from LAX. From what I read at the time I thought the conflict arose because BA said that its SOP did not mean a land ASAP whereas the FAA disputed this. Perhaps a conflict between an individual state regulation and an international carrier? Interested to hear the BA view on this now.

After the incident I asked several colleagues what they would have done in such a situation. Most said dump fuel and land! One said he would consider getting to the east coast (JFK/BOS) if only to use up the fuel to allow a landing below max weight. An obvious issue in that scenario would be that of the 2 engine drift down level as the MSAs east of LAX are above 10000. In fact around Colorado I seem to recall they can be as high as 15,000.

noughtsnones

Regarding the subject of 3 engine ferry flights they have a whole manual covering them. Obviously, no passengers being one of the regulations. There are performance graphs for both rotor locked and windmilling cases. From memory the most fuel you can uplift is about 5-6 hours so from the west coast that would involve a tech stop on the east if returning to the UK.