PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 08:10
lasernigel

OLD RED DAMASK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd just enjoy the nice cabin pressure differential, quiet ride and watching the 'plastic' wings flex during any turbulent air. (Sorry about the word plastic....we all know this is not the case).
As an electronics engineer and a SLF I have read with growing concern about Boeing's "fix". I work on medical equipment as you can guess by my title which area. If one of our systems had a safety related issue the FDA would worldwide, issue a notice about this problem. There is NO cozying up to the FDA to be had. It either gets fixed properly or it can't be used. This is a single patient system not one that has 200-300 people on it at one time.
Now then if my system was bashed into a wall or another system, I would expect it to stay in alignment and be usable on patients.
Knowing that at airports accidents happen between ground handling equipment and planes, in "old aluminium" fuselages a "bash" can clearly be seen. It would be inspected for the type and extent of damage and a decision would be made to say whether it was airworthy or not.
With PLASTIC fuselages I wonder what Boeing's SOP is? A quick look will not determine the extent of the damage/potential crack. At 39000ft I don't want to be the SLF to find out when it splits. I know X-ray inspection should be used but will this be available at airports worldwide?
Any answers to a simple question??
I for one will be avoiding this aircraft.