PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Workplace Bullying On Sim Checks
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 08:02
MASTEMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is interesting how most “bullies” huff and puff their way to the top.
One notorious militaristic belligerent bi polar Napoléon covers his lack of knowledge, standards and ability through the use of bullying and classic CRM terms such as;
· Read my lips
· Listen sunshine
· That SOP is bulls..t
· You do realise who I am
· I am feeling generous so you get a ‘2’
There is a noticeable link between the bully instructor/ check captain and the lack of basic training they received. The theory of learning and teaching, and as mentioned in earlier posts, spending many hours actually demonstrating techniques are the foundation blocks of good teachers and assessors.
People use bullying as a defence mechanism to hide their deficiencies. They usually create an air of fear around them and use raised voices, verbal threats or even purposely failing candidates to promote this fear.
The more devious also work behind the scenes to spread rumours or undermine the credibility of those they wish to bully or usurp. In public they will appear friendly and reasonable toward the individuals they are bullying while twisting the knife from behind. And they derive immense pleasure from doing so!
To deal with bullies during SIM and Line Checks, work hard at creating an air of professionalism, knowledge and self-assurance. Bullies rarely tackle confident individuals face to face but if they do, do not react. Note what happened or what was said and advise the bully you will clarify with the T and C Manager.
If someone in the workplace is considered a bully, start discussing it with your peers. The weight of peer group pressure will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the bully, even if the individual is the boss.
Best advice; stay clear of bullies they are the grubs of society.