PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F15 Court Martial Updates
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 15:28
DICK DOLEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

A very short summary today – nice to get a break! On one day we had 22 pages of foolscap notes to summarise, type and post. We hope the CM will conclude on Monday afternoon but it may go to Tuesday. Whichever way, some more support in Court would be nice.

This is a very important moment for Spot and family. It is also a very important moment for the whole of Air Traffic Control in the UK. Personally, I can’t see how Spot can be found guilty of any of the charges, but if he is, the ramifications will be enormous for all of us.

I have also come to the conclusion that the RAF justice system is under trial here. Whether Spot is acquitted or, heaven forbid, found guilty, there is going to have to be an investigation into how the RAF has (mis)handled the whole affair.

The Court Martial system was only recently under investigation by the European Court of Human Rights. This case highlights, once again, that the potential for a serious miscarriage of justice still exists – I refer back to the initial handling of this matter by the Board of Inquiry. Evidence was ‘fudged’ to quote Mike Jones QC and they chose not to interview eyewitnesses. As a result of this, matters were handed over to the RAF Police and charges were laid leading to a CM. Spot was forced into a very expensive defence action to clear his name (of a criminal charge) and in my view, should never have been charged in the first place. The cost to the Crown will also be enormous but the taxpayer will, of course, pick up the bill. However, I assume the DLS operate to budgetary controls like every one else these days. If this is the case, perhaps we will be able to find out exactly how our money has been wasted.

Justice will prevail

Dick Doleman

Summary for Friday 21 February 2003

There is very little to report from the CM today. The JA continued to read his summary of all the evidence into the Court. This will continue until lunchtime on Monday. He will direct the Board after lunch – we will not be allowed in Court while this is happening. The Board will then deliberate and may come to a decision on Monday or Tuesday.

Dick