PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Granny fuel
Thread: Granny fuel
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2013, 07:11
GemDeveloper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Standard' Weights

When I was an undergraduate engineer, I spent a summer vacation working in the stress office at BAC, Hurn, helping with the final stress of the BAC 1-11 500 series. We were all hoping that we were not going to find too many reserve factors less than one, as the first aircraft was flying already... co-incidentally, the last flight in the U.K. of a 1-11, ZH763, on Friday is noted on the Military Aircrew blog.

The standard weights that were used were 150 lbs for aircrew, and 140 lbs for passengers; that included carry-on baggage, Jepperson bibles, the lot.

Given the current propensity for SLF to take as carry-on sufficient baggage to see them through a fortnight's holiday, to say nothing of the ever widening girths of our fellow human beings, what are the standard weights that you use in your operation? I can remember an occasion in the mid-90s when all the pax, with their hand baggage, were weighed at the bottom of the air bridge just prior to boarding a BA LHR-NRT service. I wonder what happened to the data? I was slightly embarrassed at the time, as I had a complete mini hi-fi, with speakers, about my person, as I was heading back to a part of the world where they were unobtainable, and needed something on which to play CDs.