PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 27th Apr 2013, 01:57
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunny, not sure. I do know at least two have been found, whether or not they were hit by aircraft (I would assume some form of damage would have been found on the aircraft) or whether they have been hit by aircraft wake or run out of puff my source cannot confirm. The size of them is also unconfirmed. My source is reliable that much I can tell you.
In the USA there have also been go around calls made by crews confirming sightings of Drones airside near runways at LAX. It is rumoured that others have been spotted around LaGuardia. My source gave me an ATC transmission from LAX which confirms the Drone being spotted by an aircraft on finals. I think that transmission is now in the public domain.

I find it amazing that they are spotted at all by approaching aircraft as the majority of amateur Drones operate below 1500 feet and are quite small, however it is possible that some larger ones have been flown in close proximity to the fields.

We will know we have a problem if amateur Drone footage starts appearing on Poohtube. Hopefully some law makers with a half a brain will be considering this risk. I still recall the dic#head who flew the remote controlled plane near the Virgin 737 in ADL some years ago....it only takes one.

Last edited by my oleo is extended; 27th Apr 2013 at 02:09.