PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 27th Apr 2013, 01:20
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Aerodrome relevance in the eyes of the Regulator = Pooh

Sarcs, I believe that this NCN for aerodromes fits the mindset and attitude of CAsA. Although ICAO and the FAA regard aerodromes as an essential, relevant and even safety critical element of the aviation industry, CAsA do not. The introduction of SMS into aerodromes in 2005 is a prime example of this. A sloppy lame arse implementation. Why do you think they are only recently making mention of aerodrome SMS, advising aerodromes to update their SMS including all the elements? CAsA just dumped it out there 8 years ago and did nothing!
Perhaps ICAO and the FAA could ask more about this?

Also, CAsA has always put aerodrome importance at the bottom of their pile. I still recall Dick Smith attending an industry conference when he was 'boss' and upon noticing a bunch of aerodrome inspectors he said 'I thought I got rid of all you blokes', or words very very similar. Even back then aerodromes was not relevant in the regulators eyes and cost cutting was desirable. The Ayatollah didn't give a toss about aerodromes and neither did Byron or Mr Skull. Ask yourself 'why are aerodromes inspectors' the least in number within CAsA? Why do these inspectors on average earn less than AWI'S and FOI's? It's perception, and CAsA doesn't view their role as equal to spanner twisters or Pilots.

Perhaps ICAO and the FAA are sniffing about and looking at the mitigation (or lack of) past audit results, hence an only recent refocus on aerodromes and particularly their SMS? After all, CAsA aren't proactive, they are reactive, so something must be rattling their chains?
Until we stop having burnt out pilots in the role of DAS propped up by snakes, lawyers and used car salesmen and we get fresh industry safety cognisant individuals into the top manager roles this farcical game will keep being rehashed and replayed with industry as the victims.

And may I assure you of one other point. CAsA have lost the battle against regulating Drones. In fact they never got past the starting block. These aeronautical Mosquitos are in plague proportion, hundreds being added to the skies monthly, and some of them are big arsed machines too. I bet the Government haven't published any information about the smashed ones that have been found at Mascot??? Again, another 'topic' that the FAA may be interested in.
All CAsA can do is piss on about some proposed weight classifications etc.
I can assure you from a safety perspective the risk levels are rising.

So Sarcs, I hope that ICAO and the FAA have packed their thermal underwear, hiking boots, compass and food packs because Mt Noncompliance is one heck of a mountain, it contains many hidden crevices, discarded rubbish and is littered with skeletons.

Last edited by my oleo is extended; 27th Apr 2013 at 01:25.