PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 12:41
spinningwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good question...and no doubt lots of semi correct answers (including mine)...in my view be aware of the A/C gross wt at the time of needing them....there is considerable disturbance to the airflow thru the rotor with floats "popped" in autorotation...such that 206s on fixed floats require considerable autorotation RPM re rigging when fixed floats are installed/removed.

Thus were I in the A/C and it were heavy I might 'pop' the ******s a good bit earlier than if the A/C were light because the weight of the A/C would put the auto rpm at the higher end of the green...with the A/C at lighter weights (solo) the auto rpm would be at the lower end and any disturbance to the airflow in my opinion would be undesireable ....... having said that we assume that both sides WILL appear at the same time on command (???) a plan to consider might be to pop them after flaring to zero/zero the A/c above the water and then let it settle in the water hopefully upright hoping the pax if there are any don't rupture them opening the flaming doors.... good luck talk to your Chief Pilot ...cheers