PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Strikebreakers!
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 10:34
wing8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said!

Well said consciencecalling and many others....

I felt it necessary to express my thoughts etc on this very important topic.
I too was called to be part of this and at the time of the call(informing me of two days training and a 3-4 day flight overseas and no other details) I had no idea that strike action was pending,after talking with a few people I was disappointed to hear that we were called to certainly sabbotage our future colleague's hard work & important stance that not only effects their wage & conditions but the safety of passengers.I did call them back and politely declined the offer of "short-term'contract".It's not to say that I was not excited & tempted by this offer,as I even arranged several swaps with many calleagues for time off and cancelled various arrangements-I eventually got a call back to inform me(eventhough I had called them back earlier),only hours ago,that I would not be needed.What I did not mention is that I am NOT a trained casual MAM f/a,I am only on the short-list.Yes I have flown before,but on a small aircraft for a regional airline and for this I trained 5 weeks,my emergency procedures,drills etc took me days to master(for only one SMALL a/c) so my question is this-how safe is it to provide only one-two days training for an a/c carrying hundreds of pax?Phew!Boy am I glad I don't have to work on that a/c hoping that there is not an emergency.Yes,I certainly empathise with the MAM casuals as some no doubt have only this work to pay their bills,not an easy decision to make.
I am too familiar with industrial action and the importance of unity & support as I have been a nurse for many years.I am hoping for a positive outcome next week and will certainly be listening out for news that my future(hopefully) colleagues have been rewarded for their hard work.
Good-luck