PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2013, 14:14
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Spaz - Note that one of the pieces you cite begins with:

By the end of the System Development and Demonstration (SDD) phase, the F-35 will be capable of carrying almost every legacy weapon that is carried by an F-16.

Which I think is on the verge of being badly out of date, since it looks as if all that the SDD will have time and money to do (cf the new boss mantra, "no more time and no more money") will be Block 3I with JDAM, LGB and AIM-120.

Otherwise, I don't see anything that is qualitatively different from the evolution of simulation and live virtual constructive training elsewhere. The case that it will reduce hours is unproven.

The alternative is that better simulation enables more effective training in the same number of hours flown today, which may be necessary (1) because of the sensor/processing/network attributes of modern fighters, not just the JSF, and (2) because generally smaller force numbers demand more multi-role pilots, not just multi-role aircraft.

That is, you replace SEAD F-16CJs, deep-strike F-15Es, air-superiority F-15C/Ds and CAS A-10s with F-35s. Will those aircraft will be in dedicated deep strike, SEAD, CAS or AS units? To do this would be to squander multi-role potential, but to do otherwise will be a formidable training task.