PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GFPT flight area restrictions.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2013, 11:33
kabukiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To my knowledge you cannot go outside of the training area (like at moorabbin airport) with a GFPT. I too learned the ten miles from an aerodrome without a corresponding training area but I may be wrong if some of you are certain.

I thought it was ten miles if you were in the middle of nowhere, or in places like MB where ten miles to the north and northwest and you'd be in all sorts, and if there was no designated T/A, it would be only where you were approved by your instructor to fly.

You log the time as solo time

You are still a student pilot on a student license, the only thing that changes is the time in between a dual check, and the fact you can take a friend along for a fly for circuits or just locally.

Edit: Re Moorabbin training area, yes to come back in via GMH you leave the training area. You do also at Carrum, flying over the water. MB lets you off because it is the only way back into the zone. Otherwise you aren't allowed outside of the T/A.

You must also (at MB at least) announce you are 'solo' and however many p.o.b. in your intial calls to ground and tower so they know you are a student (PPL don't need to announce solo or dual from memory)

Having a GFPT makes training for the PPL easier due to the extra hours between checks.

Last edited by kabukiman; 26th Apr 2013 at 11:48.