PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2013, 09:44
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Spaz.
I am sure that experience of the sim is fantastic, like going to a theme park etc. My point was I suppose concurrent development, we know that it has not been proven that an F35C can land on a carrier however it can in the sim, also when in C mode does the sim have the transonic issues that have been highlighted recently.
If the sim was set up to enable training for pilots in an as previously advertised F35, it would seem to me to rather dangerous to use the sim for actual training when the actual performance may not be as advertised.
I suppose I am saying that in a sim you may well be able to do a certain manoeuvre whilst in real life this may not be possible and indeed could result in a catastrophic failure. An after accident interview when the pilot says well I have done that 100 times in the sim but the first time I tried it in a real F35 s**t happened and we have now written off one of our fleet of 48 at a cost of £XXXXX.
I would have thought that tactics and combat training in a sim cannot really be relied upon until the performance envelope of the actual F35 has been established and replicated in the sim software.

Last edited by PhilipG; 26th Apr 2013 at 13:02.