PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GFPT flight area restrictions.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2013, 05:52
garrya100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to throw another GFPT yes or no into the mix, my insurance company would not allow me to fly my own aircraft solo until I had passed the GFPT (admittedly it is a 'complex' aircraft)

It was rather pointless for me to have to do all my solo nav work in a different aircraft, as my reasoning to having the aircraft now was to get max value out of the training in the aircraft I'm going to fly.

Their reasoning was, and I sort of agree with them, is they then have a record that I have reached a competency standard that is documented.

My instructor did give me the option to do it or not. It's also been useful to be able to give some of the family a 'ride in the airplane'.

The only painfull thing is I need an 'endorsed pilot' to sign of the MR each day. I can text my CFI for permission for circuits etc while he's in the circuit with another SPL, but can't leave the ground till he's signed off the MR

It does look like the GFPT is going away. The new flight crew licencing re-instates the RPL as a recreational licence with much the same restrictions in area flying as a RA licence. I can't find a reference to a GFPT.

(PS it was explained to me that passing the GFPT just gave you passenger carrying privileges, if I wished to deviate from more than just the training area I would need authorization, with proper authority I could operate up to a max of 10 miles from the airfield before it was considered 'cross country', and would need a FP and charts etc. So if I wanted to take a little tour to the north, I'd need a briefing)

Last edited by garrya100; 26th Apr 2013 at 06:07.