PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost ppl student
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2013, 19:03
JonDyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigating as a UK PPL student under VFR is some of the hardest navigating that a typical pilot will have to engage with and it's all done at a stage when 33hrs seems like a lot!

Your location indicates that you are still floating around somewhere but if you were anywhere near the midlands to the south of England then you can factor substantial quantities of airspace into the mix - which to your credit you seem to have avoided.

The reluctance of the UK authorities to embrace GPS (a restriction they only apply to private pilots incidentally - commercially we make use of every tool in the box) just adds to the general stress levels and reduces pilots to taking VOR crosscuts and drawing a line in felt-tip whilst wobbling over a landmark in a non-autopilot light aircraft.

This stuff is tough. VFR flying is tough. The equipment is manually operated and it can be tricky to do it all.

ATC do seem a bit god-like when you're not actually paying for them, but one of the great eye-openers for a commercial pilot is that ATC truly are there to help you - and are almost always willing to oblige. They really don't want you wandering all over their controlled airspace and delaying their inbounds and outbounds.

Asking for help is the smartest thing to do and by doing so you avoid making the sort of mistake that you wake-up in the night thinking about. Asking for help is not making a mistake it's avoiding making a mistake.

One final thing: Michael Jordan - “I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

I always think of this when I am berating myself or listening to some 'Ace' beat themselves up for making a mistake.

Aviation is full of trite aphorisms I know - but the only bad mistake is one you don't learn from.

Don't under any circumstance let this stop you.