PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are 757, 767, 777 throttles offset towards copilot
Old 25th Apr 2013, 16:27
RRTrentSymphony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are 757, 767, 777 throttles offset towards copilot

As I have seen in my experience, the throttle levers are often placed in the center on large jetliners so they can be used by either pilot. On smaller planes like single pilot or turboprop aircraft, they are sometimes offset towards the captain as he may be the only pilot or to make space for condition levers on turboprops.

The 757, 767 & 777's throttle levers are the only ones I've ever seen where they are slightly offset towards the first officer or copilot. These three boeing jets along with the MD-80/90 and MD-11 are the only planes I know of (apologies in advance if there are many more i don't know of) that have this 'slight right' throttle offset. All boeing jets before and after (yes the 787) have perfectly center aligned throttles.

Anyone know the reason behind this? My best guess would be to make room for the trim levers (or switch in later 75/767) or is it due to some research that right handed people seem to stretch their right hand further more comfortably or some stuff like that?