PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abuja and Port Harcourt, NIGERIA
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2013, 15:00
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" NEPA he not come today because Boss man not on seat."Happy days with no VOR or anything, when the diesel in the genny ran out and there was no one to get it running again.Used to ask for a Brit over there to fire up his Ham Radio and use the ADF to point to it to find the Airfield. That was in the early80s though,when the New Airports were opened to a great fanfare and local Air Force display with MIG21s, one of which was called "Tiger Formation".A Brit Ex Squadron Leader (Bob B),driving the Ex Green Shield Stamps HS125 for the big Ogga in Port Harcourt,caused a flap at one such occasion at Makurdi,resulting in Tiger 4 banging out thinking he was on fire,Suffice to say all Brits at the holding point left ASAP as soon the the Emergency Vehicles had gone into the bush to recover the Pilot!!But at the opening of the New Port Harcourt Airport,the Opening Dignatories were all there waiting for the Kabo Air 727 to arrive.A Tropical Storm arrived first,causing all the drainage ditches to overflow with running water running down the new Tarmac Runway.Again at the holding point,waiting to leave having deposited some of the Dignatories,we saw the 727 land hot,with all the creep marks on the wheels stationary,for the poor aircraft to slowly slide off the runway shedding undercarriage and flaps,ended up in a smoking heep,luckily not going over the end joining the F28 that had gone over from the old runway into the mangroves,some time before.Nothing obviously seems to change!I lookum I checkum,but I no see what is dat that is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by FAStoat; 25th Apr 2013 at 15:23.