PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Strikebreakers!
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2003, 06:09
Alpha Charlie Bravo

Subsequent to my original post I feel it is timely to remind some of you that I too am a casual F/A with many of the immediate financial concerns that some of you are facing and also with an eye to the future and that ever elusive permanent position.

For the record, I don't know whether I agree with the long haul F/A's for taking industrial action, particularly in light of the current global industry and the prospect of war in the Middle East. What I do strongly believe in, however, is their right to take such action should they feel it is appropriate and without the company attempting to undermine such lawful action by calling in strikebreakers. Be under no illusion, that is what you are, that is what you have agreed to do!

I too was called to participate and politely declined without being asked to provide a reason, which I didn't. Given the short notice, they were very cool about it, actually.

The $300+ for the training day alone would have paid my next car payment, money I don't currently have and can't hope to cover out of next weeks pay cheque, given the slim hours of late.

I'll tell you what I do have, however, my principles and the ability to look myself in the mirror each morning and like what is looking back at me. Compared to that $300, that feeling will be with me for the rest of my life. You can't put a price on that.

Far be it from me to pass judgment on any of my colleagues who choose to take the work. Some of your other colleagues may not be so charitable. If you feel you've done the right thing by taking the work, good luck to you, that's your right and your privilege.

However, one day God willing, you too will gain a permanent position with QF. One day, you too may be in the unenviable position of having to take industrial action.

Ask yourself this question. How will YOU feel about the company calling in other MAM casual F/A's to undermine your lawful industrial action and break your strike?