PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afraid to use PPL
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2013, 10:27
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you start flying you do not have much experience and can easely get to rely on an instructor or more experienced pilot to make decisions if things don't go to plan.
I used to fly in the local area on my own but for longer trips teamed up with a good friend who was a very experienced and capable pilot!
We would cost share trips with friends further afield and with him there I was confident and cheerful and playing out the role of commander on my legs when deep down I knew he was the commander!
All was well with that charade until one sunny Sunday we had a trip planned into France with a couple of friends!
They turned up early raring to go as was I brimming with confidence prepping the aircraft.
Then the call that drove fear into my heart !
" hi C here ! Had a collision with a car on way to airport and cannot come ! You take them your perfectly capable ".
My confidence vanished as I desperately thought up an excuse to cancel!
the two non pilot friends would not accept the excuses and all if a sudden I heard myself saying " come on then let's go "
We had a fantastic day and flight and the high carried me for weeks!
Sometimes we have to face our fears and dive in
For now your friend would be better teaming up with someone of his own ability so that he feels at least partially in command rather than pretending with an Ace in the right seat

Pace